Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Last Week We...

I'm not naive enough to think we're done with the sticky hot summer weather, but this week has been so beautiful!  It's been cooler and lovely outside, and I've been able to get back out on my porch and feel like I can breathe outside again.  Ahhhh.  I can't WAIT for Fall.

It's been sort of an eventful week!  We've been busy.  I got my hair fixed!  What a good feeling.  Especially since I pretty much do it only twice a year...  I got several inches chopped off, and freshened up the color a bit.  It feels so much lighter.  I always feel like such a loser when I go in to get it done, though.  I haven't gone to the same stylist more than once in many years.  I'm not sure if it's because I'm not that thrilled about them, or because it's always so long between visits that I'm too embarrassed about the three-inch roots and the bangs that I've hacked away at several times since the last visit.  I'm also always wishing it didn't cost so dang much money.  But anyway, getting back to feeling like a loser--I go in there with gross hair.  It's always on a day where I can't take it anymore, so I'm already feeling unattractive.  Then I just pull it all back into a sloppy ponytail since I know we're just going to color it, wash it and cut it all anyway.  And when I'm feeling like that, I don't usually bother with the make up either.  So I go in looking awful.  And knowing me, feeling fat.  Then some cute little thing with perfect make up and a great figure, dressed all up in some little black outfit stands RIGHT behind me in the mirror for a couple hours, and the dramatic comparison does the OPPOSITE of making me feel pretty.  I get my hair all combed out, which is not a good look for me and my curly hair, by the way.  I am asked, "so what are we doing with your hair today?".  Mostly I want to start bawling and tell them to shave it all off, it's never going to look as cute as theirs, but I just end up saying, I don't know, but obviously anything will be a dramatic improvement.  Then I try to smile and we figure out what color to do and how short I want it.  It's really not ever a great experience, except for two moments--one when they're washing my hair (I love that), and the other when I finally am in my car afterward and can shake out the weird hairstyle they sent me out with, and really look at it in my rear view mirror.  And it is always an improvement.  As long as I look past the Frankenstein brow that I usually have from getting my eyebrows violently waxed.

I love being a girl.

I need to find a salon filled with stylists that are chubby and older than me, and tell good jokes.

The kids had a sleepover!  They were invited to A's bestie's house on Friday night.  Hubby and I decided to make a date night of it.  After dropping them off, we took off on the motorcycle.  It was a perfect evening for a ride.  We drove into Wisconsin and ate at a great place right on the river.  We were seated on the outdoor patio, and had a couple beers and some GREAT food.  Then we decided to go to a movie!  We drove back across the border and saw the Bourne Legacy in Hastings.  It had been a while since we'd had a date, and it was so much fun!  Until the middle of the movie when our phones lit up with calls from the 10-year old.  Of course, we're IN the movie, so we couldn't answer.  It was a late movie, though, and the middle of the movie happened at about 11:00 at night, so of course I was worried.  Hubby texted A to see if everything was all right, and he texted back that J wanted to come home "badly".  Now J had never successfully completed a sleepover at a house that wasn't a relative's before, and I knew there was a chance I'd have to go get him in the middle of the night.  It's happened before.  But I really did think this one would work.  It's been a year since his last attempt, and this one was different--his brother was there, he's very comfortable with the bestie (I think I should start calling him "R"), and he's been at their house before and knows the family.  But no.  So we sent him a message saying we're in the middle of a movie, and we'll have to call him afterward.  The rest of the movie was a bit stressful for me, but I made it.  Even though I couldn't stop obsessing over it, wondering if he was all right, if he was crying, if he was keeping the whole family up over there, blah, blah, blah.

As soon as the movie was over, I called A.  He answered and put J on the phone.  It was 12:30 at night.  J was awake, but sounded perfectly fine.  He said, "can you come get me?  I want to sleep in my own bed."  Ugh!  So then I had to explain to him that Dad and I are a ways from home, and we're on the motorcycle.  We would have to zip home to get the car, and then come get him, and it would be well past 1:00 in the morning when we got there.  Could he please try to relax and go to sleep there?  And his response was, "ok, but I'll be very sad."  A told me that R's parents were asleep (but I don't think they were).  When we got home, I texted A again, hoping they were all asleep and I wouldn't have to drive into their nice and quiet neighborhood at 1:30 in the morning to get my kid.  He texted back that J "wants to stay", so I was off the hook and all was well.  Yahoo!   So we were very proud of J for completing his first official sleepover, and very grateful to R's family for supporting him (and us).

The next day they brought R over here for a sleepover at our house.  Gramma and I took all three boys to the County Fair for the afternoon/evening.  It was so great!  The kids had a ball eating junk food, running around, and playing carnie games.  The three of them get along so well, and it's so much fun to watch.  They're at this great age--I remember being 10.  They're making memories that they'll have forever, and sometimes I feel honored to see it happening.

We also took the kids to a Gopher Football practice this week!  What a great day.  It was at the stadium, which was exciting because the kids got to run around in the near-empty concourse.  After the practice we were able to go down on the field and meet players and coaches and get autographs.  Very exciting for all of us.  I was so impressed with the whole experience, I was thinking of writing a letter to the coach about it...

So the summer continues.  School starts three weeks from today.  We've done so much the last couple weeks, and we have more to do still.  Football starts in just under two weeks, so that's my timeframe.  We need to fit a trip to a waterpark and maybe the amusement park still.  And maybe another trip to the zoo.  But for now, I need to eat something and take Freddy out.  Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment