Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Need My Own Soundtrack

Yesterday I had some fun with my iPad.  I figured out how to use AirPlay to stream whatever is on my iPad to the Apple TV.  This was a pretty big accomplishment for me, considering how technologically challenged I am.  So now I can listen to Pandora on the big living room speakers, I can watch YouTube stuff on the big TV, I can do whatever the iPad does on the TV.  It's way cool.

So I spent a long time with that yesterday, and then wound up with a lovely chunk of time where I sat at my dining room table with a glass of wine and a couple of my magazines that have been waiting for me, listening to Pandora, and occasionally jotting down songs that I don't have yet that I need to get.  Yes, need.  Music is very important to me, and I love growing my library and finding new bands to love.  Right now I'm getting into Bon Iver.  Love them.  If you have 25 minutes to spare (I know--who does?) you should check this out on YouTube: Amazing Bon Iver recording session.  Just click over to it and have it playing in the background.  Soothing and way different.

Music is so great.  I have written about it before, but it's in my brain right now, so I'm going to write about it again.  Several months ago, I wrote about my secret love for the Twilight series.  Well, the first installment of Breaking Dawn is out on DVD now, but I have to say that I LOVE the soundtrack.  It's the best soundtrack of all the movies in the series so far.  Even if you're not a Twilight fan, I highly recommend it.  I love soundtracks because it's almost like having a mini iPod shuffle playlist, but most of the songs have a similar feel.  And if you love the movie, they can take you back to the feelings you had when you watched the movie.

One of my favorite soundtracks in my collection is from Hope Floats.  It's sort of country, and it holds up really well, even though I guess it's sort of old now (1998 was 14 years ago. sigh).  There's a GREAT song in there, a duet with Martina McBride and Bob Seger, titled "Chances Are".  I also love "Smile" by Lyle Lovett.  Both songs take me to different parts of my life.  That's my favorite thing about music.  The way it can transport you from the right now to somewhere else.  Music can make you remember feelings, events, even tastes and smells.  It's magic.

The soundtrack from Practical Magic is awesome too.  Some Stevie Nicks, Joni Mitchell, and a couple pieces from the score that make great background music.  It's a nice list to have on during the fall and Halloween season.

I love the Harry Potter music.  I know, I'm nuts about Harry Potter, so this probably won't apply to many of you, but I can have the iPod set to my "Harry Potter" list where I have stashed all the soundtracks, and just play it while I dork around the house, and it sets such a nice mood.  But then I always end up having to watch a couple of the movies.  That and the Pirates of the Caribbean music.

Every year for my kids' birthday parties I have these themed parties.  They pick what kind of party they want, and I decorate and go nutty about it.  My time is limited with these, since I'm certain that soon they will inform me that they are too old for this stuff, so I have to enjoy it while I can.  Anyway, I've done both a Harry Potter party (my all-time favorite one) and two different kinds of pirate parties (one Pirates of the Caribbean and one "dead pirate party") and the soundtracks came in handy then.  Great background music for entertaining.

Some soundtracks can take you back to a different part of your life, especially if the movie meant something to your past.  For me, the soundtracks for Top Gun, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Breakfast Club, and Beverly Hills Cop are like looking through yearbooks or old love letters.  The soundtrack from Curious George makes me think of my kids when they were adorable pre-kindergartners.

Oh, and there's Glee.  Yes, I have all the Glee music.  One of my favorite things to do is have both the Glee version and the original version of the song they do.  It has really expanded my library.  And whether you are a Gleek or not, you cannot deny the talent of those people.  Seriously--listen to "Mercedes" sing "I Will Always Love You."  Chills.

And currently, there are of course some new and relatively new artists that I'm falling in love with, even without the help of soundtracks.  Other than Bon Iver, I do love Adele and One Republic and Pink.  And I still love my country music.  And 80's stuff.  There is not enough time in my life to listen to everything I like to listen to, but I sure like to have it behind me.  It fills up the cracks in my life.

Having such instant and diverse access to music has got to be one of the best things about the technologic times we are right now.  (Hey--there's a song called Technologic!  It drives me nuts but my J loves it.)  I hate to sound like an old fogey, but the kids that are growing up now will never understand not being able to just click on any song you want and own it.  And then click on it to listen to it.  No tapes to rewind, no entire albums to buy just because you love one song.  No tapes or CDs or albums to store (unless you want to).  They're pretty lucky.

So anyway, sorry if this post was kind of strange and boring.  It's just what's in my head and heart at this very second.  Go surf around for some music now, and expand your library.  And if you can think of any soundtracks I need to have, or any other music for that matter, let me know!  I could always use more music!  This goes out especially to my brother, who has always introduced me to new stuff.  What have you got for me lately?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how I survived before Pandora. Whoever introduced me deserves a big gold star. Its one of those things I want to tell the world about yet also keep quiet and be part of a secret club. I felt that way about Apple too ... but I guess that didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you really go me thinking. Music - how would I survive w/o it? I can't remember a time when it was not important. Dancing in my bedroom and singing really loud because I was going to be a famous singer (w/ long black hair), romanticizing about rock stars, falling in love, getting my heart broken, falling in love again, our first long drive to Minnesota (Icehouse) walking down the isle, first dance as a married couple, having kids (yep Enya was there for that one) and of course there are the songs that make us think of other people, especially those that have left (every time I hear "God Bless the USA"by Lee Greenwood I cry. Mom loved that song). Its something we loved as kids and love as adults. And they have much greater access to it now, earlier, and easier. What surprises me at times is how many people don't have it as a part of their lives (heck, its in my blood!) I remember when the boys were a little younger - I had music on in the kitchen (because I always have music on) and one of their friends said "does your Mom ALWAYs listen to music?". I was shocked - doesn't everyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY!!! I know! It means so much to me, and I also have it on. All. The. Time. Who doesn't? The Parting Glass is playing right now in my kitchen!

      Delete