Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"What's That, Sonny Boy?"

I'm going to be making some changes here at Flying by the Seat of my Pants.

No biggie to you guys, but hopefully a bit of a biggie to me.  Hubby was kind enough to purchase a domain name for me.  I will eventually be moving my blog over there, and I'm hoping y'all will follow me over.  It may be a while, though, because I'm trying to learn some things, and learning when it comes to computers is a slow process for me.  I am currently trying to learn about GoDaddy, Joomla, and iWeb all at the same time, and I'm completely lost.  So I stepped away, grabbed a beer, and decided to just write a post.  I'll let you know how it's going...

I had my second WW meeting this morning.  I lost over 2 pounds, all good.  The week felt great, and I'm starting to be proud of myself for jumping back on the wagon.  I can do this, right?!?

Yesterday A was telling hubby about a kid at his school.  There's this boy in his grade, all classes have them, the "it" boy.  He can run the fastest.  Everyone wants to be his friend.  He's good at sports.  He seems like he's got the world all figured out at the ripe old age of 10.  You know the kid.  Anyway, hubby and A were talking about some issues like popularity and cliques, and hubby was trying to give A some suggestions on how to talk to other kids, because he gets super self conscious.  Well, all of a sudden, A says, "Dad, that's not cool talk now.  That's cool talk from the 70's.  Nobody talks like that now."  I almost bust a gut laughing.

We are officially old and clueless.  Our kids are 9 and 10, going on 16 and 17.  And somehow overnight, hubby and I have crossed into old fogey status.  It's not like hubby was telling him that he should say, "hey, man, groovy threads!  Slide me some skin!"

I try so hard to stay in touch with the young person in me.  I feel like I still remember Elementary school better than most people do, and I can sympathize pretty well with what my kids are going through.  I try to not embarrass them, in fact, I try to blend into the background for them, just the way I wanted my parents to at that age.  I try to stay current with music and pop culture.  I don't worry too much about fashion, but that's because that ship sailed LONG ago.  But I can tell it won't matter.  I am old to them.  No matter how cool I think I am.

Everything is cyclical.  My parents had Elvis.  I had Madonna.  My kids have LMFAO.
My parents had Pedal pushers and teased hair.  I had acid washed denim and huge bangs.  My kids have cargo shorts and Aeropostale.
My parents had Little Lulu, I had Looney Tunes, and my kids have Spongebob.

It's all the same, really.  My parents knew the same crap I do, and my kids will think I'm clueless.  It's already starting.  I guess what goes around comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment