Thursday, December 8, 2011

Puppy Love

He's here!  He's here!  Freddy (we've decided to spell it with a "y" instead of "ie") arrived at his new home yesterday at 12:45 p.m.  I was so nervous I felt like I was going to throw up!  I kept thinking, "oh crap what have I gotten myself into?"

So he got out of the van on his leash and I walked him around outside a bit first.  He seemed so much more laid back than he was when we saw him at the pet adoption event.  Then we came inside, and the nice lady from the adoption organization watched him for a bit to make sure everything seemed all right, and then we started the paperwork!  I couldn't believe it!  She left about 20 minutes later, and Freddy got to stay--in his NEW HOME!  Hubby also had to go, he had to work.  So there I was, alone with the dog, for three hours until the kids got home.  I kind of just looked at him like, "so what am I supposed to do with you?"

Then I went into the living room and sat on the floor.  He proceeded to dig into the grocery bag that came with him, which was sitting on the dining room floor, and one by one bring me each toy that he brought.  He was so proud to show them all to me!  So we played a bit, and I kept petting him and hugging him.  I took him out a couple times, and he walked around checking the place out, and peed like a pro.  He even whines to tell us when he has to go out!  Amazing!

A & J were so excited when they got home that he is here.  They peppered him with affection and chatter for a couple solid hours before they finally calmed down and let him be.  But he really seems to like them.  His tail wags constantly, and he has a spring in his step with them.

He seems to be pretty good at fetch, too.  Too bad I'm not ready to really let him loose outside yet.  He loves his tennis balls and will bring them right back to you after you toss it away, and if you bounce it he will catch it mid-air.  This may not seem amazing, but I think it's pretty cool.  And last night at bedtime, we just put a couple of his things and a little handful of food in his room (kennel), and he went right in.  He whined for about 15 minutes, but then went to sleep.  And he was SUPER excited to see us all this morning!  I took him out, he peed (and peed and peed), and then came back in like he's never not lived here.  Life with a dog is gonna be good, folks.

The only worrisome thing so far is that a couple of his toys are the stuffed animal variety, and he proceeded to shred one of them, a bunny, and pull out all the stuffing.  Yikes!  I left all the stuffing all over the floor to show the kids so they would know how important it is to keep their special stuffed pups out of his reach.  I plan to keep him out of their bedrooms, so this will be a team effort.  It would be seriously bad if that happened.  Seriously.  Bad.  Bad bad.

But other than that, he's strangely easy.  He's super laid back, seems to really enjoy the kids, and he's affectionate and sweet.  Well behaved.  Is this normal?  I think he's already sort of attached to me, too.  He follows me around everywhere I go, and gave a little whine when I went down into the basement and wouldn't let him come with me.  He's sleeping on the floor right next to me now.

What a little sweetie.  And it is such a comfort to have his warm, furry little body keeping me company around here.  Welcome to the family, Freddy.

1 comment:

  1. TERI!! I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you all! He is ADORABLE! Can't wait to meet him! YAY! :)