Thursday, October 20, 2011

Nothing Important

Man, I was lazy last night.  I spent a lot of time doing nothing.  Watching You've Got Mail on TV.  I do love that movie, but I've seen it a million times.  I have it on DVD, so there's no reason to sit and watch the three-hour-long version of it on TV, along with all the commercials.  And I certainly have a lot to do, so there was really not much of an excuse for it.

The kids are off school today.  They are off until Tuesday, which is great for them.  But, we're having a big family party Saturday to celebrate A's birthday, and I have lots to do for it, and now they're going to be here.  Making messes, because that's what young boys do.  Oh well.  I had them clean their rooms yesterday, and I'm really going to try to let their jobs be good enough and not go in after them and "really" clean them.  Nobody will care, right, people?  Right?

I need to do some shopping today.  Hubby's truck wouldn't start last night when he was leaving work, so I had to go get him.  He was very irritated with the truck, and now that's another thing on our to-do list, but it is what it is, I guess.  But he took my car to work this morning, so now I can't do my shopping until he gets back.  Which means maybe I'll be able to leave the kids with him since the shopping I have to do involves the grocery store, Costco, and the liquor store.  All places the kids would rather not go.  But I have to go to the store to get the ingredients for my baking tomorrow!

I.  LOVE.  BAKING.  I don't do it nearly often enough, probably because I would then just eat everything I bake, but as soon as this season rolls around, I get back into it.  I'm not doing too much for Saturday, just a couple loaves of pumpkin bread (mmmmmmm)  and some Chex Mix.  Chex Mix is a required part of all my events.  Homemade Chex Mix.  Baked in the oven.  I make a huge batch with just the Chex cereals, Cheerios, pretzels and peanuts.  Yummy, and it makes the house smell so good when it's roasting.  So I'll make that Saturday morning.  But I'd like to bake the pumpkin bread tomorrow.

Oh my goodness I'm completely babbling on about nothing.  Sorry, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet.

And now I'm hungry.  Look at that beautiful Chex Mix.  It makes me happy.  A is so excited for his party.  They love their birthday parties.  And it's sweet, because it's not just about the gifts.  They love the fact that people come over just for them, and it's always a big cousin convention.  And I love the excuse to decorate.

I just got a phone call.  J gets to go over to a buddy's house Monday to play for a while.  I think I'll have A call up his buddy and see if he wants to come over while J is gone.  That gets me back to the whole country mouse/city mouse thing.  I wrote about that here.  In order to get my kids together with friends, it has to be a big event.  They'll never be able to just hop on their bikes and ride over to a buddy's house.  I think that's sort of sad.  Oh well.  So that's it for today.  I have to start scrubbing bathrooms.  No more procrastinating.

1 comment:

  1. Chex mix is a family tradition I happily took on when I joined this crew. I like to make it this time of year to kick off the fall season. I had the supplies to make it while the family was here a few weeks ago, but ran out of time. So I stayed up to get my first batch done before my work trip. Cooking away while the hubby is making a fabulous dinner, very happy to leave them all a nice warm batch of my new favorite with cheeze-its. I am ashamed to say it didn't turn out right. The family is being nice and insisting its OK - but I know. This batch sucks. (How does one screw up chex mix??) So I can not start thinking fall(although today is officially the first day of fall) until I make a fresh batch. Fortunately I know I'll have some tomorrow to get me by until I can redeem myself. Your saving the day.

    ReplyDelete