Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Like, Totally Rad.

When I'm alone in my car, I like to listen to the radio nice and loud.  Once you have kids, being alone in a car becomes sort of a luxury, so I try to enjoy it every time I get the chance.  One of my favorite stations to listen to is on Sirius, it's 80's on 8.  Last night as I was driving I was singing along (loudly) to "Would I Lie to You", by the Eurythmics.  I forgot how awesome that song is.
http://www.vh1.com/video/eurythmics/96546/would-i-lie-to-you.jhtml#artist=6853

I graduated from high school in 1989, so I truly am a child of the 80's.  I turned 9 in 1980, and I turned 18 in 1989.  Perfect.  I loved the 80's.  I still sort of live there in my head.  I may not wear frosty blue eye shadow and leggings any more, but that's still the music and movie genre I love best.

Yesterday I got to re-live a little bit of my 80's youth.  I hung out with my little cousin for a while, who I don't see nearly often enough, but hopefully we're going to start getting together more often.  I call her my little cousin because she's a touch younger than me, but also because she's very small and cute.  We've been close since childhood, and were especially close when I was in high school and college.  Now that our kids are a bit older, it's going to be easier for us to get together more often again.  So anyway, yesterday we were shopping, and it's amazing to me how things are so cyclical.  All the fashions of the 80's are coming back.  There's pleated jeans with tight ankles, the bold geometrical, fluorescent colors, leggings, crimped hair, and we even saw leg warmers.  Now the cousin and I hung out a lot during the 80's, so this was pretty fun for us.  I guess it'll be interesting to see if the grunge of the 90's comes back, or the constant bare bellies of a decade ago.

One thing that never gets old are the 80's movies.  Goonies is one of my all-time favorites, anyone who knows me knows that.  I love all the John Hughes movies.  Pretty in Pink.  ET.  The Color Purple.  It really was the best decade for movies.  I really think it's a lost art.  There is nobody making good, thoughtful, romantic comedies for young people anymore.  My kids love these movies.  Who wouldn't?




It's weird how color and technology make such a difference.  I remember when I was in high school, the 60's were twenty years earlier.  It all seemed SO old.  You'd watch a video of the Beatles, and it was black and white, and the recording quality was not nearly as good, so it really did seem older than it was.  To kids now, the 80's are just as old to them as the 60's were to me.  But everything stands up so much better, so it's surviving better.  The videos are in color.  The movies are in color, and pretty good quality.  The music is still awesome.  And it sounds good.  It sounds similar to a lot of the stuff on the top 40 list right now, in fact.

So today I'm staying home.  I have a lot to do around the house, and I think I'll be listening to my 80's playlist or watching some Say Anything while I'm doing my thing.  I don't have to re-live the nightmare that being a teenager sometimes was, but I can sure re-live the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment